Our history

The story of Lydde Gård

The earliest record of Lydde dates back to 1493, known then as Lyddaström. The farm operated primarily as an agricultural establishment for a long time, but from 1840 onwards, the activities were diversified. Initially, they began a fabric producing business, followed by the establishment of a dyeing facility in 1850, and in 1875, a brickwork was built on the farm.

As industrialization progressed in the late 19th century, the fabric producing business disappeared, but the connection to the textile industry remained. For much of the 20th century, Lydde Gård operated as a sewing factory for blouses and shirts.

Unfortunately, Lydde Brickworks burned down in 1972, and in 1983, the farm transitioned into municipal ownership.

When the Larson family took over Lydde Gård in 2003, it had been neglected for many years and was in need of complete renovation.

Siv and Lars Larson’s keen interest in building conservation proved invaluable. Wherever possible, old methods were used. Exterior walls and windows were scraped clean and painted with linseed oil paint, while interior walls were fireproofed with clay from the garden.

The fantastic veranda, which stood on supports, was restored, and of the farm’s ten tiled stoves, all but one were dismantled, restored, and rebuilt.

“Lydde Gård has received several awards for cultural and building conservation work as well as numerous awards for environmental efforts and sustainable development”

When Lydde Gård became a guesthouse, it was also complemented with a cootage for laundry and ironing. The laundry cottage was carefully designed with the old bake cottage as a model and, of course, built with timber and wooden pegs.

Siv and Lars Larson’s meticulous renovation of Lydde Gård has inspired the book “From Decay to Guesthouse.” Here, you can read about how the renovation was carried out using old techniques and with consideration for the cultural values ​​of the buildings and the farm’s history.